PrePayment Pre-Payment Options

Beginning July 17th, BHUSD will publish a new payment software. Any balance from mypaymentsplus will automatically be transferred to the new payments site.


Prepaid meal accounts help the lines go faster and gives students more time to eat, relax, and play. It also gives you the peace of mind of not having to worry about looking for lunch money every day or worry that it might get lost, stolen or used for other things other than buy lunch and nutrition. You as the parent have the ability to monitor the activity and balance on a daily basis.

Please take advantage of the options to prepay your student's meal accounts!

BHUSD is cashless at all K-8 school cafeterias. It is important to prepay for your student's lunches. Click the MyPaymentPlus button to make a payment!

Account Deposits

Pre-payments may be placed on your student's account in the following ways:

    • Online pre-payments are the preferred method of payment.
    • You may make an online payment at (TBA) with a credit card or electronic check. You may setup one-time or automatic recurring payments. You may also use the MyPaymentsPlus app on your smartphone.

In addition to online payments, you may also check your child’s balance, transaction history and setup low balance alerts at (TBA)

  • CHECK Payment By MAIL
    • Checks should be made out to BHUSD FOOD SERVICES. Be sure to indicate your child’s 7-digit ID number in the lower left corner on the check. Do not mail cash.
    • Allow up to 5 business days for your check to post on your child’s meal account
    • Check payments may be mailed to:

Beverly Hills Unified School District
Attn: Food Service Department
255 South Lasky Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212


  • CASH or CHECK at the High School
    • High school students may make a deposit with cash or check at the register at the time of transaction. Please note that no change will be given at the register. The change will be placed on your child’s account to be used at a later date

Account Refunds and Transfers - CLICK HERE FOR THE REFUND FORM

  • Fill out the Refund Form and return it to the food service department. Allow up to 10 business days for processing. You will receive a refund check by mail.
  • If you would like to transfer a balance your child’s account to a sibling’s account, please send the request in writing to Be sure to include the names and grades of your children, the amount you want transferred, and to whom you want the fund transferred. You will receive a confirmation email once the transfer has been completed.